Like pureeing your favorite mint cookie into a drink, this Delicious Grasshopper Cocktail tastes like an indulgence and is a delight to drink and serve.
Depending on the time of year, it may not be Girl Scout cookie season, but you can get your Thin Mint fix with this refreshing cocktail version. In fact, you can take it one step further and replace the Crème de menthe with peppermint schnapps or Bailey’s Irish Cream for a more official Thin Mint flavor. (I’m pretty sure, though, that this beverage is not available from your local scout).
I’m sold on any drink with mint, but this one in particular stays at the top of my favorites list. The rich and creamy flavor feels like a grown-up mint and chocolate chip ice cream milkshake with a kick. And it’s easy to make, but what would you expect from a drink that was founded in the Big Easy? The story goes that the drink was invented in 1918 by a bar owner in the French Quarter. This cocktail is among the dessert cocktail classics such as a White Russian, Mudslide or the Bushwacker but its smooth texture and full-bodied flavor give it a wonderful edge.
Why You Will Love This Cocktail Recipe
What’s not to love? Mint and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Throw in the heavy cream, and you’ll experience a little cocktail paradise here on earth.
- A cocktail shaker
- Ice cubes
- A jigger or measuring tool
- A strainer
- 1 oz green Crème de menthe mint-flavored liqueur
- 1 oz white Crème de cacao chocolate-flavored liqueur
- 1 oz heavy cream
- Begin by filling your cocktail shaker to about halfway with ice cubes.
- Add into the shaker the Crème de menthe, Crème de cacao, and cream.
- Cover the shaker and then shake it thoroughly until frost forms on the shaker’s exterior.
- Pour out the mixture from the shaker through a strainer and into a pre-cooled cocktail glass.
Tips & Tricks for a Perfect Grasshopper Cocktail
- Use high-quality Crème de menthe and white Crème de cacao. Fresh heavy cream will enhance the decadent flavor.
- Give the drink some energetic shakes, which help create some tiny air bubbles and lightness to the cocktail.
- Add a touch of elegance to your Grasshopper with simple garnishes such as a sprig of fresh mint, a twist of lime, or a dusting of cocoa powder.
The bright green, mint-flavored liqueur doesn’t actually have any cream in it; it’s grain alcohol infused with mint.
This is where the chocolate taste comes in. This cocoa-bean-flavored liqueur is reminiscent of sweet milk chocolate.
The Grasshopper is normally served in a martini glass. It’s helpful to chill it first so that the drink stays cooler longer.
Grasshopper Cocktail Variations Worth Trying
- For a frozen twist, blend the ingredients with ice until smooth and serve in a frozen margarita glass.
- Swap the liqueurs for mint and chocolate syrups and serve over ice for a non-alcoholic version.
- Use sugar-free liqueurs and a low-carb milk or cream alternative for a keto-friendly and low-carb cocktail.
- Add a shot of vodka or Kahlua for different taste combinations.
How to Store
You can prepare this drink ahead of time by mixing the ingredients together (minus the ice) and stash the pitcher in the fridge until it’s time to serve. When you’re ready, pour your pre-mixed cocktail into the shaker with some ice, give it a few shakes, and serve.
As long as it’s not diluted in ice, you can store the grasshopper mix in the fridge for a few days. Just remember to shake it before you serve it next.