Who’s up for a summer romance with a cool and refreshing cocktail? Get ready to be swept off your feet by our Watermelon Margarita.
On a hot summer’s day, when you’re chilling by your local pool, I bet the one thing that will complete the picture is a cool, Insta-worthy cocktail. Well, say hello to the oh-so-refreshing Watermelon Margarita.
This delicious margarita and I met when I was in Cancun last summer. My SO and I were relaxing in a bar one evening and we came across the Watermelon Margarita on the menu — so, of course, we had to try it. And naturally, I had to get the recipe to recreate my vacation vibes in my own kitchen. It’s a welcome addition to the stable of tropical cocktails, which also includes the Miami Vice and the Painkiller.
This cocktail may bring to mind the amazing Strawberry Daiquiri, but it’s got a refreshing, juicy flavor that’s all its own. It’s a step beyond the traditional Margarita, which sticks with lime-infused flavors. It still has that tequila, though, and, with the thirst-quenching watermelon, makes for the perfect drink for a summer’s evening with friends. A squeeze of lime gives it a kick and trust, this little beauty will have you seeing life in full Technicolor (or should I say, watermelon shades?).
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is incredibly easy to make; all you need is a blender and a handful of simple ingredients.
- I love how this cocktail manages a tight balance of sweet watermelon and tangy lime juice with a kick of tequila.
- It’s also a slightly healthier option, as the watermelon’s natural sweetness cuts down on the need for too much added sugar.
- It works in so many occasions, perfect fit for a barbecue, pool party, or just a quiet night in. You can serve with a watermelon feta salad.
- Blender – to get that watermelon to the desired consistency.
- Glass – a margarita glass is traditional
- Plate – to get that perfectly rimmed glass with salt.
- Lime juicer
- Strainer (optional) – if you prefer your margarita without the pulp.
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounces lime juice
- 1 ounces simple syrup
- Ice cubes
- Salt optional to coat the glass rim
- Lime or watermelon wedge optional for garnish
- Mix: Add the diced watermelon, tequila, lime juice, simple syrup, and ice to a blender. Blend until is smooth and well combined.
- Ready the glass: If you’d like, coat the edge of the glass with salt by rubbing a lime wedge around it and dipping it into a plate filled with salt.
- Serve: Pour into the prepared glass.
- Garnish: Attach a lime wedge to the rim.
Tips and Tricks to Make a Perfect Watermelon Margarita
- How to Pick a Perfect Watermelon: A ripe watermelon is your best friend for a super sweet and juicy mix. If you’re not sure it’s ripe, just give it a knock. If it echoes, it’s good to go. Also, look for a deep green skin without any bumps or spots.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Nothing beats freshly squeezed lime juice. Also, it is usually cheaper.
- Top-Shelf Tequila: Good tequila will make all the difference. I’m a fan of silver or blanco tequila for this drink. By the way, good tequilas also help the next morning headache.
- Sweetness Level: If your watermelon’s already sweet enough for you, ease up on the syrup.
- Cold Glass = Cool Drink: Stick your glass in the freezer for 30 minutes before it’s required. Serving your drink in a frosty glass will keep your margarita cold for longer.
Watermelon Margarita Variations
- Skinny Watermelon Margarita: You can reduce calories by swapping out the simple syrup with a natural sweetener like stevia, and going for a lower calory tequila.
- Frosty Watermelon Margarita: This is the perfect summer variation, freeze watermelon chunks before blending. It’s like a boozy slushie for those hot summer days.
- Spicy Watermelon Margarita: Like a good old Spicy Margarita, add jalapeño slices or a good dash of hot sauce to your blender.
- Watermelon Margarita Mocktail: Just skip the tequila. Perfect for kids or when you’re playing host!
- Other Fruity Margarita: I like mango but feel free to play with any fruit you like!