A surprisingly delicious cocktail — despite the name. Gather your friends and enjoy this duck fart shot that boasts of Kahlua, Bailey’s, and whiskey.
There are some pretty peculiar cocktails out there, but this one might take the cake. Let’s not get into the reason this drink is called a duck fart shot; you can probably figure it out by looking at it. But believe me, it’s absolutely delicious and if you like a blowjob shot or a B52, you’re bound to like this one. Heck, it’s even a local favorite in Alaska!
The Kahlua and Bailey’s Irish Cream are similar to the blowjob shot, but instead of topping it with whipped cream, you add a layer of whiskey. The duck fart shot is a great one to whip up when you have friends over. The distinct layers, fun name, and delicious ingredients make for an unforgettable drink that is incredibly easy to make.
Why You Will Love This Cocktail Recipe
- It’s fun to say and fun to drink.
- Tastes like an Irish coffee.
- Makes for a great after-dinner drink and talking piece at a party.
- Shot glass or small liqueur glass
- Teaspoon with a long neck for layering
- 1/2 oz. Kahlua
- 1/2 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1/2 oz. whiskey
- Start by pouring the Kahlua into the shot glass.
- Then using a teaspoon gently and very slowly pour the Bailey's Irish Cream over the back of the spoon, and on top of the Kahlua.
- Finally, do the same with the whiskey.
Tips and Tricks
Like many cocktails, this one might take a little practice to get the hang of. Here’s some tips and tricks to make the process as easy as possible.
Layer your ingredients carefully: Layering is the key to making this cocktail. To avoid blending the ingredients, use a teaspoon to slowly and gently pour the Bailey’s Irish Cream and whiskey over the back of the spoon. This will help maintain clean layers.
Chill your ingredients: Placing your ingredients in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before layering your duck fart shot is a major game changer. The liquids will maintain the layers easier and the shot will be more refreshing.
Use a tall and clear shot glass: Okay, this is all for the visual appeal. However, the distinct layers and colors play on the name and that’s half the fun. Using a tall and clear shot glass is preferable, but you can also use whatever you have to hand and the taste will be there.
Here’s some fun ways you can change up the duck fart shot!
- Dirty Duck Shot: This is a deliciously sweet variation of the duck fart shot. Layer from bottom to top: Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream, amaretto, and whiskey. The addition of amaretto adds a unique nutty flavor you’ll love.
- Screaming Duck Shot: Add some Jägermeister between the Kahlua and Bailey’s layers and you have an entirely new flavor. Somewhat herbal with an anise or licorice taste.
- Flying Duck Shot: A flying duck shot adds a pop of color and a fruity twist. Layer your ingredients as usual, but between the Kahlua and Bailey’s, add a layer of blue curaçao. This liqueur adds a vibrant blue color, but interestingly tastes of orange.
- Fireball Duck Shot: Add a kick of heat! Layer your duck fart shot, but replace your whiskey with Fireball or another cinnamon-flavored whiskey. This unique flavor will incorporate some warmth and create a delicious and distinctive flavor profile.
Like most shots and shooters, this drink is intended to be downed in a single quick sip. That’s why a shot glass is preferred for this cocktail, but if you can’t get enough, you could double up and sip it from a glass.
You can use different types of whiskey or bourbon for a duck fart shot. The standard recipe calls for Irish whiskey, such as Jameson, but you can experiment with other types depending on what you prefer and the flavor profile you’re going for.
Creating a non-alcoholic duck fart shot might be challenging, but it’s possible. You just need to find alcohol-free substitutes for each ingredient. You might consider experimenting with different flavored syrups, cream, and non-alcoholic coffee liqueur, or zero proof spirit alternatives to achieve a similarly layered shot.
How to Store a Duck Fart Shot
Whether you’re prepping for a party ahead of time or just have leftover ingredients, it’s important to know how to store your duck fart shot. Firstly, because of the layered aspect of this cocktail, you should not hang on to any leftover assembled cocktails. The taste and texture will change overtime, so always serve your duck farts immediately after preparing.
However, you can store pre-measured ingredients in separate containers in the refrigerator beforehand. I can’t say that this will save you that much time, but you can keep your ingredients chilled this way. Alternatively, simply place your ingredients in the fridge for a few minutes before serving.