If you like drinking your dessert, the Classic Mudslide cocktail is the perfect choice, with a delicious blend of coffee liquor, vodka, and Irish cream.
Our kids called my husband’s grandmother “Milkshake Mamaw.” As grandmothers should, she liked to spoil them a little, and a chocolate milkshake was always top on the list. Though she recently passed, I like to think she would approve of this version that tastes like childhood but is definitely for adults.
A cousin to the White Russian and Black Russian, the mudslide adds a fun Irish twist. I love that you can top it with a scoop of ice cream for a particularly creamy version, or you can stick with the basics and enjoy your own grown-up milkshake. It’s a wonderful drink for lazy summer nights but also festive enough to serve throughout the year, on special occasions, or just because you want to make a toast to your favorite “Milkshake Momma.”
And if you are looking for another lovely dessert cocktail, make sure to try my favorite “adult milkshake”, the Bushwacker.
Why You Will Love This Cocktail Recipe
The taste is out of this world! It’ll satisfy your sweet tooth—with a boozy kick. It’s fun to serve and to drink and I guarantee your friends and family will thank you at your next gathering!
- A bar jigger or measuring tool
- A tall spoon
- A scoop optional
- Begin by filling a rocks glass with ice.
- Add the Kahlúa, vodka, and Irish cream into the glass, on top of the ice. A bar jigger can help with your measurements.
- Utilize a tall spoon to stir the drink until it’s thoroughly blended.
- You can enrich the texture by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream and stirring it into the drink. As a finishing touch, adorn your cocktail with some whipped cream and a swirl of chocolate syrup, adding a bit of sweetness and sprucing up the presentation.
Tips & Tricks for a Perfect Mudslide
- Good coffee liqueur like Kahlúa, premium vodka, and top-notch Irish cream will make the best drink.
- Balance the three liqueurs, preferably with an equal ratio of each.
- Use large, slow-melting ice cubes so the cocktail stays chilled without diluting.
- Top the drink off with a dollop of whipped cream and a swirl of chocolate syrup.
There’s a reason this tastes like dessert. This dessert cocktail will run you about 350 to 400 calories per serving. But you can reduce the amount with low-fat or dairy-free options and forgo the ice cream and chocolate swirl.
Sure. The flavor will be different, but you can substitute the Irish cream with some non-dairy cream liqueur or flavored creamer.
Mix everything together, pour into your glass, and start sipping while it’s fresh. Get creative with the presentation to delight the eyes and the taste buds.
This drink is traditionally served in a rocks glass (also known as an old-fashioned glass), but don’t discriminate if you don’t have one. Any glassware will do!
Mudslide Drink Variations Worth Trying
- Tropical Mudslide: Swap vodka with coconut rum, and add pineapple juice.
- Mudslide Mocktail: Substitute the Kahlúa with coffee or espresso, the Irish cream with cream or milk, and omit the vodka.
- Frozen Mudslide: Blend the ingredients with a scoop of ice cream and ice.
- Mudslide Hot Chocolate: Mix a cup of hot chocolate with the cocktail ingredients.
How to Store
You can whip up a batch before the party if you’re strapped for time. Just mix the three alcohols in a pitcher and place it in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve, pour the cocktail mix over ice in the rocks glass and add garnishes.
You can store your mudslide mix in your fridge for a week (sans the ice cream or whipped cream). Just stir well before you pour it over ice. You can also blend the cocktail and ice cream into a milkshake consistency and store it in the freezer.